The local public health agency has declared that over 80 students in Quebec City are in isolation after three cases of COVID-19 were confirmed at Polyvalente de Charlesbourg and Ecole Jean-de-Brebeuf. Health agency spokesman Mathieu Boivin said the infected students are considered “community cases” because all the three contracted the virus outside the school.
Also, a French-language school board said late Sunday two more teachers at a high school north of Montreal tested positive for COVID-19, and four teachers at PolyvalenteDeux-Montagnes also tested positive. Roughly 20 other staff members who were in contact with those cases were placed in isolation, and 12 students from the school were asked to isolate too as a precaution.
Quebec Premier Francois Legault said there was no single cause of the increase in daily cases, and above all, he didn’t want to close schools. He asked Quebecers to be vigilant and to respect all the instructions. Similarly, Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube urged Quebecers to remain cautious if they wanted to prevent outbreaks in schools. He said the recent infections tied to schools occurred in the community; hence, It’s not the school that was an issue.
The school board reported that most Grade 10 and 11 PolyvalenteDeux-Montagnes students who were isolated last week after the teachers tested positive were back in school Monday. The Board assured that it would closely follow COVID-19 guidelines set by the provincial government as students returned to classes Monday morning. The Board also said it had ordered medical equipment for students, and it wouldn’t accept donations of personal protective equipment to “maintain the control and quality.”