The number of COVID-19 cases in Quebec has increased rapidly in the last week; Quebec registered Sunday,160 new COVID-19 cases on the Island of Montreal in the past 24 hours (31,309 total), 92 more in Quebec City (2,969 total), and 19 more in Chaudiere-Appalaches (907 total).
Following the surging numbers of COVID-19, Quebec is increasing restrictions of all kinds of gatherings in three regions in the province. Health Minister Christian Dubé announced that Montreal, Chaudiere-Appalaches, and parts of Quebec City are moving up to orange in Quebec’s COVID-19 alert system. Dubé said it was unfortunate that the infection was amplified in three regions. Besides, he said the number of cases was growing, and their capacity to take care of the sick was diminishing.
The new gathering rules allow a maximum of six people in private homes, except that more people can be present as long as they come from no more than two families, and that each family lives together in a home. On the other hand, public settings, in orange zones, are limited to 250 people. Restaurants have a restriction of six people per table, and bars’ last call will now be 11 p.m., with a closing time midnight. There are no restrictions imposed on regional travel.
Several parts of Lanaudiere and Laurentides have shifted from green to yellow. The other zones that were already designated as yellow will remain yellow. In yellow zones, the limit for public gatherings now stands at 50 people. The minister of health said they were still working on more restrictions and would give a full report on Monday.
Through a tweet, Quebec Premier François Legault, who is self- isolating at home after being exposed to a COVID-19 carrier, urged people to not only follow the rules but also reduce contacts to a minimum. Legault said the infection was growing at a “worrying pace” and asked individuals to make an effort by avoiding having dinner with family or friends.